Free Counters

Sunday, December 02, 2012

Souper Saturday &&& Sunday...

I've been making some of my chunky vegetable soup this afternoon ~ Sunday's definitely seem to be a soup day :0) even made some soup with my best friend yesterday which turned out better than she thought it would. In Genie's soup we used:
*carrots x 3 small ones
*mushroom x 3
*red onion x 1
*garlic x 2 (1 clove chopped up & 1 left whole)
*leek x 1
*vegetable stock cubes x2 + about 2.5pints of water
We put it all in two medium sized saucepans and let it come to the boil. Then once it had simmered long enough for the vegetables to be soft enough Genie whipped out her hand blender & blended up one of the saucepans leaving the other one as chunky vegetables to add to the blended up pan! It tasted really good (& I don't like mushrooms!!!)

In my soup I pretty much put the same veggies each weekend but this weekend I'm going to add some soup & broth mix for a little bit of variety (however it has to be soaked for 8-12 hours which I didn't realise so I shall prepare it tonight, cook it tomorrow and add it to my soup as I go throughout the week)...
:0) in my soup there is:
*leek x1
*potato x1 (quite a large one)
*carrot x1 (quite a large one)
*swede x1/2 (one of those pre-packaged up half swedes)
*shallot onions x2
*garlic cloves x3

I chop them up quite chunky and pop them in a pot with x2 vegetable stock cubes which have been dissolved in approximately a pint & a half of boiling water. I then pop an extra little bit of plain water in and make sure the veggies are covered fully. Bring to the boil and then let simmer for approx 25-30mins (depending on how quickly the veggies go soft)...once the veggies are at my desired softness I remove half of them with a slotted spoon and mash the remaining veggies in the stock up with a potato masher :0)

I then pop the chunky unmashed veggies back into the mashed mixture & leave simmering gently. While it is simmering gently I cook some pasta and when that is at the softness I like I then pop the pasta into the soup. I let it simmer all together for a little while longer then leave to cool :0) I dish it out into various pots/boxes so I can either freeze it or keep it in the fridge for lunch each day of the week. I left each portion in the fridge last week & by Friday it was still as yummy as it was on Monday!

I suggest you try making some soup. My big pot lasts all week & my Mum even had some for her dinner one night this week with some crusty bread :0) yumyumyum!!! It fills me up every day at lunch time and is so healthy because I do not add any extra salt/seasoning other than what comes in the stock cubes...
Well there's my soup recipe again & I shall pop some pictures below!!!

I hope you've all had a glorious weekend (they go too quick don't they?!) and are looking forward to being another weekend closer to Christmas...
Thanks for reading my blog...
xXx















No comments: